Shooting Journal - Day 21

With less than a week to scramble everything together, we had an awesome Day 21 in the studio. We shot at Fireproof/Nutroaster Studios in Bushwick and had a grand time. Lots of last-minute pieces had to come together including:

  • Garrett hiring a crew and securing a stage for the day
  • Alex and Ryan buying and assembling and disassembling  and returning a table from Ikea
  • David pulling upwards of ten outfits for actor wardrobe
  • Alex finding an actor to play our Interviewer, losing him and then finding another actor
  • Nicole flying Brian back to NY from the UK for 12 hours to shoot
  • Me writing and rewriting and hoping no one gets upset about the last-minute new material

Everything went famously. The vibe on set was the most relaxed of the entire shoot by far. The crew and production team were able to set everything up, sit back, and watch the actors work. Because our lighting and set were going to be the same for the run of the day, we set up a few rows of chairs behind the monitor and everyone sat and enjoyed the performances. 

Speaking of performances, I feel like I should have charged admission to the shoot. To watch Brian Cox and Bill Sage sitting at a table working for six hours is exactly the kind of thing I would pay top dollar for. Bill was our last-minute savior for the Interviewer (a small but awesome part, I think) and he really took all of the scenes to their full potential. Brian had actually worked with Bill before so they had a bit of a report together.



We shot 6-8 takes of each scene with two sizes. We changed lenses only once and I am thrilled with that decision. For 95% of the day we stayed with the 35mm and switched to a 50mm only for the final shot. If I had to pick a single lens to live with for an entire film shoot, It'd probably be  the 35mm.

Technical hiccups reared their ugly heads as they always do on a low-budget shot. We had a couple of issues with some corrupt sound files, but we are sorting that out now. We also had a pain-in-the-ass fly that would fly into frame whenever the take was really great.  That's all though.

After the wrapping the film shoot. We transitioned to a still photo setup, where I took photos of Harold in various different outfits to be used in the film. We used a simple 2 light setup against a gray seamless backdrop. We fired all of those off  within about 20 minutes and then called it a day. A very good day.