****KICKSTARTER UPDATE**** Thanks to the overwhelming support of so many readers of this blog, Facebook, Twitter, and many more, we are on track to meet our funding goal tomorrow night at 11:03PM EST. The amazing thing is, people are still making pledges! The more the merrier, friends. Thank you!!!
With Pre-Production underway, Kickstarter drawing to a close, and our start date set, I am now shifting gears a bit to get back into creative mode. I've had a running list of notes on the script that I've been waiting to address. Rather than changing things bit by bit as I go, I prefer to keep a tab of things and integrate them all at once. This way, I can see how everything is affected at once and give myself some serious time to consider any changes. Also, with new people being sent drafts all the time, I'd rather there only be a few new drafts after the first, just so I don't have to worry whether someone received a script dated April 10th or April 19th or April 20th, but rather just "revised" or "old".
This past weekend I set aside some time to begin the script-polishing process. I made my way through a web of neighborhood construction to a nearby coffee shop to get to work. This was my first revisit to the script after nearly four months from the initial draft, so I started with a timid polish of technical notes. I clarified locations, character descriptions, scene chronology...you know, the easy stuff that requires no creativity. Sitting in my local coffee shop, I was simply proofreading and tweaking with a cheat-sheet of things to integrate. Once that technical polish was done, I realized I had to get my creative hands dirty sooner or later.
Why was I so hesitant? Shouldn't I be excited to perfect, refine, and enhance my own work...especially if I thought it could benefit? I stared at my notes, a list of questions with no answers. I knew to some degree what needed to be done to certain scenes and character developments, but I was still finding it so difficult to dive in.
The reason for all this heady hesitation, is that re-writing is so much more difficult than writing. In your initial state of writing a screenplay, there are no constraints. You can let your imagination run wild and write whatever you please. Free reign. However, in re-writes, you are slave to your own structure. If the adjustment isn't seamless with the rest of the script, than you have to iron out a wrinkle throughout the whole draft, ultimately changing the whole thing much more than you orginally wanted. Like that stupid construction in my neighborhood, you have to destroy something in order to fix it.
Off and on for the rest of this week, I am trying avoid any major construction (re-construction) and instead, I am trying to operate with finer tools. It's odd, a good day of writing for me is not necessarily a day where I've written that much. Rather, a good day of writing is one in which I am able to find any shred of certainty or clarity. I spend probably 80% of my writing time just looking at the script, reading a scene, visualizing it, judging it, and maybe, just maybe changing it. If I read a "problem scene" thirty times trying to fix it, and all I come away with is the reassurance that it's fine just as it is, that's a good writing session. At least know I'll know why something works.
So, like this I go, bit by bit. Still working. I'll let you know how I do!